[IP] The joys of retirement episode 1.

I recently retired and moved from New Jersey to the Villages in Florida. Of
course that meant finding new doctors, and am still in the process 6 months
later. It took me 5 months to select an endocrinologist, and I appear to
have been very lucky. He was chief of something at John Hopkins, and
appears to know a lot about diabetes. I have seen him once and our initial
meeting was interesting. But time will tell!

About 2 weeks after meeting him, my wife found a pumpers club in the
villages. So of course we went along to see what was about. I was not
expecting much, but found it was being run by an ex-professor who
specialized in diabetes research. At the meeting, he demonstrated a
computer program which is designed to help doctors establish the correct
basal and bolus values for an insulin pumper.

I ended up more than a little skeptical, but decided to give it a try. In
the previous 2 years before I retired, I had 2 different endocrinologists
who improved my pump settings to where I was having major highs and lows on
a fairly regular basis. What did I have to lose? (For years my A1 C had
been below 6, when I finished they had managed to get it up to 7.5)

So I substantially reduced my basals, to reduce my chances of going low,
and recorded the information his program needed on the worksheet. After a
week I was supposed to have this data analyzed, but there was no meeting of
the insulin pumpers that week because some major festival had taken over
our meeting rooms. But I had a copy of his program, and I entered my data,
and made some minor improvements in my basals and boluses. Then proceeded
to collect another weeks data.

At the end of the 2nd week, his program was used to analyze my data, and
predicted an A1 C of 10 so far. As a result, I have made some minor
additional alterations. But I haven't managed to get my hands on his
analysis program yet. But I still have high hopes this is going to work.

He did send a copy of his analysis to my new endocrinologist. Unfortunately
I won't be seeing that Dr. for another 12 weeks. I'm going to try to add a
copy of my results to this email, but I'm not sure if I can do it.

And I'm going to update it in the following weeks. Wish me luck!

(For general background, I have been a diabetic for 42 years, and on
insulin pumps for 20 years.

The Villages is a retirement community in Florida, near Orlando, with
120,000 residents on about 40 mi.2 of land, and over 2000 clubs. If you're
thinking of retiring in Florida, you should look here before you buy. It's
really a good place to live)

George