[IP] Bubbles in the Reservoir

 I have posted several times before about an ongoing problem concerning air
bubbles that block delivery of insulin in my 723 pump. It started about 9 months
ago when I still had a 722, so it was not the pump. Then I looked at the
reservoirs. They were once made in The Netherlands; now they are made in Puerto
Rico. I worked with the MM rep here. She certified that I was filling the
reservoir with absolutely no bubbles, yet bubbles would occur and seriously
impact my blood sugars, particularly at night. The Diabetes Educator watched me
fill a reservoir with no bubbles. Within an hour I had a bubble.

 Eventually we began to focus on the Apidra. I contacted the maker in NJ and
they denied ever hearing the problem before.

 Then the rep said once a month the MM reps in our area have a group conference
call. The subject that was coming up for some patients in practices where they
use Apidra were air bubbles, not a significant number, but still there were some
patients with problems.

 Another patient in my endo's practice also had the same frustrating tale of
constant air bubbles. The one commonality is that she also wears her pump in her
bra and works out. My doctor switched me to Novolog, which she says handles heat
better. She has a welder on Novolog as she thinks it does better with heat. I
have not had a problem since the switch. My doctor suspects it must have
something to do with buffers. Apparently they don't have to get FDA approval to
modify buffers. The bubbles started occurring long after I had been
satisfactorily on Apidra for many years, so it well may have been some small
change they made.

 I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has had problems with air
bubbles.

Jean Roseman