[IP] with SSP, it's always an adventure....

So, a little trip report for ya.... Just back from 16 days
 in France and Italy.  4 days in Paris, doing the  tourist thang AGAIN
along with the hordes...bleah. Then a train down to  the Cote d'Azur for
 a couple days in a little place called Cap d'Ail,  near Monaco. Then 4
days in Ventimiglia, Italy...Then, last monday, this massive  headache
 hits. I think I am having a migraine and my sugars had been running a bit high,
so i take some tylenol and stay
out of the sun for a day. Tuesday it is worse, so my friend  brought me
to her Italian doctor, who gave me some  codeine/ibuprofen - basically
tylenol 3.  No charge for doctor visit,  $15 for prescription.

Wednesday, I was no better, but I headed back to  Nice, and stopped in a
 pharmacy. The pharmacist sold me codeine  with caffeine over the
counter, no prescription - i love europe.  Thursday, 4th day of head
ache, I was feeling better so I went to  the beach, where I quickly
sank...couldn't sit up, nauseous, short of  breath and the headache from
 hell, like an ice pick to the eye...or for  those of you who have had
laser to the retina...yeah, JUST like that.  STABBING and throbbing...so
 the life guard called the firemen (slurp)  and they thought maybe there
 was something up with my thyroid cuz my eye was red and a bit puffy
looking.

So, they hoisted me off the beach (250 stairs up to the street)
 in a  chair, a la Cleopatra, stopping along the way to let me take a
photo of  their biceps.....I was whisked off to Princess Grace Hospital
in Monaco,  where i was told in French, I had acute glaucoma and needed
laser  surgery but they couldn't do it til I stopped writhing in
pain...Sooooo,  they admitted me, shot me full of IV drugs all night to
bring the  pressure in my right eye down (it was 45!!!!). Friday
morning, I am  feeling much better and can hold still, do they laser
three small holes  in my iris...I feel water pouring down my
cheek...Instant Relief.  Pressure is now 11 iin both eyes.

Saturday
 morning, I went back to the beach and picked up my vacation.   Just got
 back to the states on Monday....Won't be home til the 8th, but  my eye
doc in Tucson says everything sounds par....So what caused THIS, i  am
wondering. I don't have glaucoma, or hadn't and I just saw my retina
guy!!  I have had two vitrectomies and a cataract, but the French
doctor said this was not related.....Fun fun fun.....

The nurses and
doctors let me manage my own diabetes...never even considered hooking me
 up to a saline drip, let me administer my own bolus' - had fun doing
the math for mg to mmol conversion, and were basically very impressed at
 how flat lined i was keeping my blood sugars.  definitely higher than
normal, but no bounces, which is the way I prefer it.....

So what did YOU do on your summer vacation???

Sara Smarty Pants
Type One Diabetes Does Not Win - see THIS for living proof!