From: Mary Donovan <email @ redacted>
Sender: email @ redacted
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:02:22
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Venting

Back when my son Dan was 11 and still on shots, I had to take him to the ER at
our local hospital with out of control vomiting and dehydration due to a
stomach virus. The ER doctor literally took away the insulin pen I had with me
(Dan was just on NPH and humalog back then, no long-acting), and said he
couldn't have any insulin because he was not eating. I called our own endo
from a pay phone in the hospital and hired an ambulance to take us to the
hospital we usually went to, which was an hour away but at least understood
how to treat a sick kid with type 1.
The amount of ignorance of type 1 diabetes even in the medical community is
appalling.

Mary