Re: [IP] Medco Insulin delivery

I get my Symlin and insulin from Medco because it would be more expensive to
get them from a local pharmacy under my insurance, especially for the Symlin.
The Symlin is $70 every 3 months mail order and would be $440 every 3 months
at a local pharmacy.  Big difference.

I have had several long conversations with the pharmacists at Medco about the
shipping and packaging of these 2 temperature sensitive drugs.  They explained
that they have developed a "best practice" technique and procedure that
involves different methods depending on the outside temperature.  So in June,
they ship them overnight, but in May they use 2 -day.  They also vary the
temperature of the gel packs depending on the outside temperature.  I didn't
like this explanation, and said I would like them to ship everything
overnight, but they insisted they were following safe and recommended
procedures.

I asked how I would know if the medicines were safe when I opened the package.
The pharmacist told me that I should open one of the packages and touch the
symlin pen.  If it was above room temperature, I should call them right away.
I have done that since this conversation.  The medicine is always cooler than
room temperature and the gel packs are always still cool.  But I will call
them if it ever isn't.

Someone thought they would not deliver on the weekend, but i did get a
delivery on a Saturday morning.  Luckily I was home to receive it.

Julia, MM522