Re: [IP] What's in a name?

Laura Wrote:
 What about two type I in the same family diagnosed 1948 and 1958 (ten years in
age apart?). Genetics must be there somewhere?

Ricardo Responds:

Hi Laura,

You are correct. Genes are there somewhere.

 My understanding is that neither epigenetic theory, nor research into the
triggers of diabetes attempt to undermine the genetic theory of diabetes. They
both build onto gene theory. Whereas it was once thought that genes and only
genes determined whether or not a person developed diabetes, new thinking says
that genes are only part of the picture.

 One comparison I read said that if genes are like the operating system of a
computer, epigenetics would be like the software we load to interact with the
computer. We have control over the software we load and the software needs the
OS to run. Whereas the old thinking had us being victims of destiny, the new
thinking says we do have some control over our destiny. Two people walk into a
clinic with the same diagnosis. One patient is upbeat, cheerful and hopeful. The
other is depressed and pessimistic. I think we can guess which patient would
have the better long term outlook.

 The science is emerging but holds so much hope for individuals. It reveals that
a person's attitude and level of hope can affect the outcome of medical therapy,
as well as gene expression. We see this happen with the placebo effect, where a
person is given an inert substance but somehow they experience the same level of
healing or wellness as a person given a prescription drug.

 A book I have on my book shelf, but have not yet fully read is "The Biology of
Belief", by Bruce H Lipton, Ph.D..

http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Unleashing-Consciousness-Miracles/dp/1401923127/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311045660&sr=1-1

Here is a quote from the book:

 The new science of Epigenetics, which literally means "control above the
genes", has completely upended our conventional understanding of genetic
control. Epigenetics is the science of how environmental signals select, modify
and regulate gene activity. This new awareness reveals that our genes are
constantly remodeled in response to life experiences. Which again emphasizes
that our perceptions of life shape our biology.

 This line of thinking may one day explain how someone who has no history of
familial diabetes, still develops the disease, as well as siblings who
experience the same environment, but only one of them develops diabetes. The old
way of thinking about genes did not do a very good job of explaining these
scenarios, but epigenetics may yield answers.