Re: [IP] What's in a name?

At 09:31 AM 7/17/2011, Susan Lane wrote:
 >That being said, I have always eaten a relatively healthy diet and
 >exercise regularly, and I still got Type1 Diabetes last year at the
 >age of 57.

Type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with how well
you eat or how regularly you exercise.  According to the Mayo Clinic:

"The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is unknown.
Scientists do know that in most people with type
1 diabetes, their body's own immune system -
which normally fights harmful bacteria and
viruses - mistakenly destroys the
insulin-producing (islet) cells in the pancreas.
Genetics may play a role in this process, and
exposure to certain viruses may trigger the disease."

Diet and exercise may contribute to the
development of type 2 diabetes, but even that is
uncertain.  According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Type 2 diabetes develops when the body becomes
resistant to insulin or when the pancreas stops
producing enough insulin. Exactly why this
happens is unknown, although excess weight and
inactivity seem to be contributing factors."