Re: [IP] Susan Exercise

Hi Susan,

Your question was almost buried in another thread so I changed the subject
line.

Thisis difficult to determine at that 2 hour mark...but I would probably
bolus  enough
to bring it down some buy not a full correction as it would be active during
your exercise.

You may need to experiment with different ideas to find what works best for
your.

I like to have my BG remain level during an exercise session so I will lower
my basal
two hours before I exercise. So some of my basal settings are set to 25%
for
30 minutes 2 hours before I ride my bike to work (40 minute ride) and the
return trip.

If my BG is higher but under 250 and it is nearly time to exercise
I will give myself a small bolus .25 or .50  before exercising and it will
drop
my BG very fast so you have to be very careful. Many variables can figure
into this calculation
such as the time of day and how insulin sensitive I am that day....if you
are someone who is very
insulin sensitive this could be too much insulin for you (YMMV) (for Jan:))
A tiny bit of insulin combined with exercise accelerates the BG lower effect
dramatically.

For long bike rides (more than an hour) I will combine lowering my basal
and adding snacks during my ride if I need it...having the CGMS really helps
to know when this is necessary.

It is not the best idea to allow your BG to remain at 200 for several hours
...but you don't want to have too much active insulin while you are
exercising either.

There are a lot of members here that have very active lives it will be
interesting to see what others do.

Judy