Re: [IP] exercising

I am with you on the good luck sentiment.  It's definitely harder to keep
steady blood sugars when doing a lot of exercise, at least for me.  When
doing exercise for that long, I try to suspend my pump about 2 1/2 hours
ahead of time, and then adjust my pump to 20% to 30% of my regular basal
for the duration of the exercise.  That will keep me pretty steady.

If it's in the morning and I need to eat, I will eat about 70 grams of
carbs RIGHT before exercise (Some people have problems with exercise right
after eating, but seems to work for me) and inject around .5 or .75 units
of insulin for all of that food when I would normally do about 7 units for
that food if I wasn't exercising.  The food digests slowly since I am
exercising and my blood sugars stay pretty stable.  I watch my Dexcom and
always keep gummy bears in my pockets to take one or two of if I see my BS
headed down.  Then in the last 20 minutes or so of exercise I usually turn
my basal back to normal and give myself half a unit of insulin to get
insulin in my system again and then monitor my blood sugars pretty closely
when I get home.  It would be hard for me without a Dexcom.

I did a 10 mile run this morning with that method with good results.  I
think the key for me is exercising immediately after eating and not giving
time for my sugars to spike.

Glenn