Re: [IP] exercising

Melanie, all I can say is GOOD LUCK.  I'm also an avid exerciser and a type
1 with a pump and a Dexcom.  Every time I think I have things figured out,
kapooie, something new happens.  Example, I took a 50 mile bike ride
yesterday.  Bought a new kind of bar to nourish me for the ride.  At about
35 miles I ate 3/4 of the bar (about 20 carbs) and when I was done with the
ride, I was at 300.  FRUSTRATING.  So, now I figure that maybe I'll take
nibbles of the bar throughout the ride and maybe that will keep me more
level.  Or maybe not eat that bar at all.  The guessing game continues.

Now here's the best advice I can give you.  Eat low glycemic index carbs.
Whole wheat, whole grain.  Eat food that is easy to digest during the
tennis game, so that your blood sugar does not suddenly rise after your
workout due to the fact that it didn't digest while you were being active.
Don't forget, your blood is mostly in your limbs when you're working out
and not in your digestive system, so your food takes longer to digest.
There are drinks that are way better than Gatorade.  Gatorade has a lot of
dyes and such that you may not want in your body.  I just bought something
called Skratch that you put in your water.  I will experiment with it the
next time out.  Also, dates are a great food for when you exercise.  They
are sweet, but they are lower glycemic index and you can buy date bars at
Costco that are made with whole wheat instead of while flour. If you are
eating junk food to keep your bg up, remember that they will spike you and
then you will drop fast.  Pair an apple with peanut butter, so that the fat
and protein in the pb slows down the digestion of the apple.  Stuff like
that.  Candy is not a good thing to eat unless you need a quick spike up if
you are in danger.

I hope this helps just a little bit.  I'm still trying to figure out how to
get through a spinning class!!  Susan