Re: i[IP] Progress - blood glucose testing

Yerachmiel wrote, in part:
> The glucometer traces its origin to 1965, when the Ames Company
> marketed paper strips called Dextrostix <snip>
> In the mid-1970s, Boehringer Mannheim produced the LifeScan
> bG, <snip>
> Ames released its Glucometer in 1975, making glucometer a generic
> term for blood glucose meters.

> In 1979, the Dextrometer, also from Ames, became the first meter
>available without a prescription.

I didn't start testing until 1982 and used Ames' Chemstrip bG strips, and
cut them in half. We compared the resultant color to the chart on the
canister, or it could be inserted (whole) into a meter that ins. did not pay
for, nor the strips. My doctor at the time said, "So what if you read it as
200 and it's really 186? You aren't going to do anything about it anyway."
WRONGO!!!  I just can't get that out of my mind. It is ingrained within me.
I often test at 170+ and do nothing about it. I've been pumping 30 years.

I also used Bayer Visodex, but didn't care for them. However, a young man
who worked at Bayer (8 mi. away) in that dept. gave my dtr. $800.00 worth of
them for me to use and I couldn't throw them out. ;-) They went from 20 -
800 mg/dl. BTW, when I had my 50th DM aniv. BASH (Bawling, Amazement, Humor)
party, Bayer sent me a brand new Clinitest set. Why do they still make them.
Someone said for underprivileged countries. They are still incorrect.

I don't recall how long it was for me to get a meter - probably when ins.
paid for it and strips. I do know I was in the trial study for Roades (or
another name?)  now ACCU-Chek Roche for their first meter to use for a pump.
It was about the size of a pc mouse, lighted, and stored 1000 tests as well
as events. That was around '92. I miss that back light. :-(  Thata first
meter had an inserted strip that was red with a yellow eye on it to drop the
blood. It was during my *blind times* and I couldn't see to drop red blood
on that red strip. That was part of my report of the trial. They then came
up with the blue sippy strips. then they came up with it going in sideways
on the right, which was inconvenient for lefties and made it in the center.
Today, many of the dialysis techs who give me blood from my lines to test,
want to drop the blood onto the strips. NO!

Jan & Muskers- T-1, 11/5/50, pumping 8/23/83, Dialyzing 7/8/02
http://tinyurl.com/BooksByJan   http://tinyurl.com/evolutionofpumps