Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Animas, test strips, pump supplies, Medicare and CCS

I agree.  A pump is a tool.  I can manage with it, and only slightly
less well without.  What I find difficult to do is manage without any
testing supplies at all.  Either a CGMS and a few test strips or a lot
of test strips, neither of which Medicare seems to feel that seniors
need.  Does Medicare feel that Type 1's turn into Type 2's at the age of
40? Possibly. There used to be a nurse at the county jail who thought
that way.  She actually killed an inmate by withholding insulin from
him.  Does Medicare feel the only diabetics who reach the age of 60+ are
Type 2's? Perhaps.  When Medicare started in 1964, many Type 1 diabetics
died within 5 or 10 years after Dx and with most cases  'juvenile'
diabetes discovered at the ages of 10-15, guess what?

Knowing what your blood glucose level is power, either by looking at a
CGMS screen or by sticking your finger.  That gives you the power to
treat that level, either by pushing a few buttons on a pump or by
injecting insulin with a syringe.

Off my soapbox,
Denise Br.