From: "schlight" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 2:14:53 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Adjusting basal rates for surgery

I kept my pump on, set at 75% and they didn't run as much glucose as
they would on a non D (according to them ha ha)
The pump got tucked into the top of the support hose they put me on/into
prior to surgery

one of the anesthesia people and the nurse person who was with me was
pro pump, etc. B They did do multiple BG checks prior, during and
after....and we agreed on a 'not higher than 150 number as acceptable
(while they were in charge, until I was back in charge of the pump)

IME, there are 'those' who think that 200 or more is acceptable and IMO,
160 is a target 'top' that I strive to avoid (goal, not an
accomplishment), and if healing happens better with 'normal' BG, then
striving to stay 'lower' (under the target?) is a good idea

I was up front with not wanting 200 as the goal and they listened (this
was a few years ago, decades ago, things were not so 'easy' to convince
those in charge that <200, 180, 160 is B a good idea)

a friend or family member familiar with the pump for post op is a good
idea if you can swing it, IMO

Good luck on your surgery

MichelleS
dx Jan 1969