Re: [IP] Adjusting basal rates for surgery

I kept my pump on, set at 75% and they didn't run as much glucose as
they would on a non D (according to them ha ha)
The pump got tucked into the top of the support hose they put me on/into
prior to surgery

one of the anesthesia people and the nurse person who was with me was
pro pump, etc.  They did do multiple BG checks prior, during and
after....and we agreed on a 'not higher than 150 number as acceptable
(while they were in charge, until I was back in charge of the pump)

IME, there are 'those' who think that 200 or more is acceptable and IMO,
160 is a target 'top' that I strive to avoid (goal, not an
accomplishment), and if healing happens better with 'normal' BG, then
striving to stay 'lower' (under the target?) is a good idea

I was up front with not wanting 200 as the goal and they listened (this
was a few years ago, decades ago, things were not so 'easy' to convince
those in charge that <200, 180, 160 is  a good idea)

a friend or family member familiar with the pump for post op is a good
idea if you can swing it, IMO

Good luck on your surgery

MichelleS
dx Jan 1969