From: Yerachmiel Altman <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:36:34 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [IP] Fund drive for Insulin pumpers SHOULD be labeled as "Funding for
making a pump using diabetics life tolerable"

 Take a few minutes and imagine having to wear and utilize an insulin pump,
glucose meter and continuous monitor with only a doctors and trainers help. No
one else to call or ask about the weird skin rash, the strange lump under the
skin, the funny blood sugars in the middle of the night.

 Image deciding which pump you want with the only opinion available the
salesperson from the pump company (and ditto for other equipment). Imagine
trying to find a catheter that works when all you have to go by is the nurse
telling you how easy it is, even though she has never even inserted one into
herself, none-the-less worn it for a few days.

 Imagine having to do ALL of the discovery yourself, with only the salespeople
and the overworked and not-using medical team to guide you.

 If everyone gave a dollar for every major tip they had once a year, I think
that the IP site would be permanently funded within a few years. If we all sent
in 1% of the savings value in time, money, effort, skipped or unneeded trips to
 the doctor and/or emergency room, IP would have a larger data center than
Google

 Anyone of us who started over twenty five years ago pumping can tell you about
the pure pleasure of "doing it yourself" and being made to feel like a dummy
 every time something went "wrong" because (in medical opinion) YOU messed it
up.