RE: [IP] Kaiser NW - New policy for hospital admittance for pumpers

Well, this Kaiser policy isn't confined to Kaiser either. I had a horrible
experience during surgery last fall. Would you believe, the surgeon wanted
me to remove my pump at midnight? I pointed out that I'd be in DKA by the
time they saw me. My endo told me that this hospital refuses diabetes
education and that I wouldn't win any fight. I was forced to remove my pump
during surgery. The neurosurgeon and the anestheologist both shouted
different instructions at me, which did not match the suggestions from my
endo. It got so messy that my surgery was delayed for an hour. They tested
my BG right before going into the OR and got really upset when it was high.
But oh gee, there was no insulin ordered for me. So I had to wait another
hour for that to be done. After surgery, once back in my room, I asked my
husband to give me my pump. A nurse walked in as he was doing so and
screamed at me. Doctor's orders are that you should not go back on your pump
until you've eaten a full meal! Ummm, scuse me? Slight problem here? I put
it on anyway. And the truth is, the food was so horrible and unappealing
that I never ate a full meal until I went home.
But it sure is funny how much of our medical care has gone from personal
touch to technology is the answer to everything and then when some of us
show up using technology to make our lives better, they freak out. I hope I
never have to consciously walk into that hospital again. It was awful! I
think it's reprehensible that they sacrifice our care to their laziness.
Okay, off my soapbox now. <grin>
Veronica

We woof you a Merry Christmas!
Make the humans and dogs on your list really happy by giving them music from
Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
                Veronica Elsea, Owner
Laurel Creek Music Designs
Santa Cruz, California