From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Annabella Lewis
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:58 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Kaiser NW - New policy for hospital admittance for pumpers

 A few days before Christmas I received a letter from the Endocrinology
department at Kaiser  NW. It stated that I was receiving this letter because
I use an insulin pump.
It then detailed
their new policy for hospital admittance for pumpers.

I quote:

 "KPNW Hospitalsa have a strong commitment to excellent management of
diabetes &  hyperglycemia for patients admitted to our hospitals. .......
Patients who are acutely ill,  sedated or in surgery are generally not able
to saafely & adequately manage their pumps, &  most hospital staff are not
familiar enough with pump therapy to take over managing & troubleshooting
your pump"

I agree with most of the above. But it goes on:

 "In most cases you will need to disconnect your pump upon admission to the
hospital & give it to a family member for safekeeping"

 This is very black & white, what about if I am admitted for a procedure
that does not require  full anaesthesia & I am perfectly awake, I would
prefer to continue using pump therapy with  which I am familiar that go to
MDI. In recovery after an operation, as soon as I am able I want  to take
control of my own blood sugar testing & insulin dosing again & I can do that
better on  the pump. They say the pump is to be disconnected on admission,
they don't mention what  alternate treatment will be provided. An hour or so
later basal insulin will start to disappear.

 What do other people think? Am I being stupid to be scared by this letter?
Is this just Kaiser  NW or do other Kaiser regions have similar policies? Do
all hospitals have such policies?

I see the Endo at the end of January so I want some ammunition to confront
him.

Annabella