Re: [IP] Kaiser NW - New policy for hospital admittance for pumpers

Who knows how long you would have had to wait in the ER anyways.

Lolita

<3

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 28, 2013, at 11:48 PM, "Jan H" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>
> Annabella wrote, in part:
>> "In most cases you will need to disconnect your pump
>> upon admission to the hospital & give it to a family member
>> for safekeeping"
>>
>> This is very black & white, what about if I am admitted for
>> a procedure that does not require full anaesthesia & I am
>> perfectly awake, <snip>
>
> Steven replied, in part, with:
>> I write the following with these caveats:
>> 1. This was 22 years ago;
>> 2. This was Kaiser California.
>
>> The ER doctor apparently didn't know the proper way to treat
>> hypoglycemia
>
 > I offer another scenario: This has nothing to do with Kaiser, however I think
the experience is legion. I am on dialysis and my heartologist put me on a new
med and I'm having an awful time with it. At least 5 contraindications with it.
On C'mas day I was 43 BG and a few hours later 60. I know I over corrected then,
however I went to 489 that evening and stayed high for many hours; I bolused and
took a test every 45 min. When I went to the D treatment 2 days later, I had
them draw blood for me to test - 280BG - I took my correction bolus for that.
Two hours later I was 127BG. Since I had dropped that much from the previous 2
days I had a snack-size Butterfinger just to be safe. I had about a half hour of
tx left. The technician wanted me to go to the ER when I left. I said no, since
I've been pumping 30 years, I should be able to take care of it. Besides, most
of the ER doctors don't know how to treat pumpers. Came home and now have been
running around 170-179 with only a few bites of food and correcting with each
one.

 > BTW, of my 17 mixed pills a day, I have had only a very few over the last 4-5
days since most are to be taken with food, and I'm not going to take anymore of
the 1/2 dose of the new med Rx'd for me. The pill is not worth the problems. Not
having taken those other ones will, I'm sure, cause more problems. ;-(