[IP] Kaiser NW - New policy for hospital admittance for pumpers

 A few days before Christmas I received a letter from the Endocrinology
department at Kaiser
 NW. It stated that I was receiving this letter because I use an insulin pump.
It then detailed
their new policy for hospital admittance for pumpers.

I quote:

 "KPNW Hospitalsa have a strong commitment to excellent management of diabetes &
 hyperglycemia for patients admitted to our hospitals. ....... Patients who are
acutely ill,
 sedated or in surgery are generally not able to saafely & adequately manage
their pumps, &
 most hospital staff are not familiar enough with pump therapy to take over
managing &
troubleshooting your pump"

I agree with most of the above. But it goes on:

 "In most cases you will need to disconnect your pump upon admission to the
hospital & give
it to a family member for safekeeping"

 This is very black & white, what about if I am admitted for a procedure that
does not require
 full anaesthesia & I am perfectly awake, I would prefer to continue using pump
therapy with
 which I am familiar that go to MDI. In recovery after an operation, as soon as
I am able I want
 to take control of my own blood sugar testing & insulin dosing again & I can do
that better on
 the pump. They say the pump is to be disconnected on admission, they don't
mention what
 alternate treatment will be provided. An hour or so later basal insulin will
start to disappear.

 What do other people think? Am I being stupid to be scared by this letter? Is
this just Kaiser
 NW or do other Kaiser regions have similar policies? Do all hospitals have such
policies?

I see the Endo at the end of January so I want some ammunition to confront him.

Annabella