Re: [IP]T:slim - a report

Jeff,  there is a t-slim users group on Facebook that discusses t-slim
issues as its primary focus and diabetes in general as its secondary.
Not to steal people away from IP, but the FB group is another resource.
At the same time, a person could join the Insulin Pumpers FB group. What
a deal!  There are several IP people who are in both groups.

You could upload your pump and BG readings (provided that you're using a
meter that is on the uploadable list) to t-connect and get your average
prime amount and average daily insulin use.  Then instead of 300 units,
fill to an even number of days, plus the prime amount, plus the amount
that seems to be left in the cartridge after the t-slim read zero, plus
whatever you feel like adding for a safety cushion.  Tandem people would
say do three days, because that's what the FDA says, but neither Tandem
nor the FDA pays for our supplies.

I hope that you know what amount of insulin is left in the cartridge
after it allegedly runs out.  Mine seem to be normally 40 units, but
it's been as low as 10 and as high as 80 (yikes!).  Mine would be 50 X
4, plus 20, plus 40, plus 10.  That said, I just changed out, putting in
250 units and my t-slim lost 45 units and read 185, with a prime amount
of 19..  I would just make sure to carry a couple of syringes and draw
the insulin that I know is in the cartridge and just take a couple of
injections.  You can in a pinch reuse a cartridge, but it's not
recommended.  Happens to all of us when changing and we accidentally
start over again!

Knowing that you're on the end of a very long road and it's a long drive
to Marquette, I am curious what your backup plan is if the power goes out?

Denise Br.