Re: [IP] My endo is encouraging me to get a sensor. I cannot afford a sensor...

Beinf  71 I'm sure you receive SSI being over 65, let your Dr  know.  He
should be able to take care of it.  I know my friend who  lives in IL ios over
65 she gets SSI doesn't have the pump but recieves all her  supplies for no
charge.  I am on Medicare (Fed Funds), I am under 50 but  also get all my
pump supplies at no charge.

Happy & Safe Holidays to ALL!

In a message dated 12/18/2013 5:01:20 P.M. Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

On   Tue, 17 Dec 2013 Linda Riblet <email @ redacted>  wrote:

>  My endo is encouraging me to get a sensor.  I  cannot afford a sensor and
I know that there must be
>   additional charges besides the machine itself.  If you have a sensor
and
find it and consider it a
>  valuable tool, how do you  manage the financing?  I am 71 years old and
have been a T1 for over
>  50 years and got my first pump in  1981.

Linda:

You and I must have similar pump and diabetes  histories!

Diagnosed Nov '61 (at age two) and been pumping since Jun  '81.

First pump was an AutoSyringe AS*6 (one basal rate fits  all) pump -> basal
set by diluting the insulin.

Where did you  start?   I started with Dr. B. Robbins in Springfield  NJ
(actually was going to him since about twelve)

On original  question: I have NOT found any  help (yet) to pay for the
display and  monthly sensors.   Don't know which pump you are on but I  know
Medtronics at one time had a fun where they would provide a "cushion"  for
uncovered, but I think they are only providing the OLD pump (723)  for
medicare and others who don't have coverage or ability to pay for the
sensor
(not very good).

Would love to get all of us in same boat  together and work to get medicare
to cover the sensors - maybe if a few  dozen (or a few hundred) wrote in
TOGETHER it would be a LITTLE tougher to  "just say no"

Yerachmiel  Altman