RE: [IP] Re: Medicare and pump rental

Thank you so much Pam.  You have stated exactly what I thought I was saying.

Sue
else's life."

Mike, I can't speak for Sue of course, but I think you misinterpreted her
original post. Unlike you, I read it not as saying that people are getting
things like Medicare for free. We all know we pay for Medicare. The payroll
tax we pay is what gets us free Part A and everyone has to pay for the Part
B premium (although some with very low incomes actually do have federal and
state assistance programs that do pay for Part B as well as Part A if they
didn't work and contribute themselves long enough).

However I believe Sue was referring to the 20% Medicare coinsurance that
individuals have to pay for most medical services including pumps, sets,
insulin, etc. The point is that if the individual is not paying that 20%
themselves directly or by purchasing a supplemental policy or through an
employer/retiree secondary policy, then the rest of us are somehow paying
that person's coinsurance. That could be as taxpayers contributing to
federal or state assistance programs like Medicaid or one of the Medicare
assistance programs like QMB. It could also be that the providers/suppliers
are writing off the balance for some people, meaning the rest of us pay
higher prices to make up for it. So in those instances we are all paying for
someone else's 20% share.

I'm not against that because I believe that's what a civilized society is
all about - everyone who can paying a little extra either through taxes or
higher prices to help those who are less fortunate and can't help
themselves. However I think Sue's point was that it doesn't help when the
rest of us are struggling with the high costs of this disease to have
someone who somehow is benefitting even if they aren't aware of how, to
constantly point it out ad nauseum even when politely asked to refrain. Pam