[IP] Re: Medicare and pump rental

Mike, I can't speak for Sue of course, but I think you misinterpreted her
original post. Unlike you, I read it not as saying that people are getting
things like Medicare for free. We all know we pay for Medicare. The payroll
tax we pay is what gets us free Part A and everyone has to pay for the Part B
premium (although some with very low incomes actually do have federal and
state assistance programs that do pay for Part B as well as Part A if they
didn't work and contribute themselves long enough).

However I believe Sue was referring to the 20% Medicare coinsurance that
individuals have to pay for most medical services including pumps, sets,
insulin, etc. The point is that if the individual is not paying that 20%
themselves directly or by purchasing a supplemental policy or through an
employer/retiree secondary policy, then the rest of us are somehow paying that
person's coinsurance. That could be as taxpayers contributing to federal or
state assistance programs like Medicaid or one of the Medicare assistance
programs like QMB. It could also be that the providers/suppliers are writing
off the balance for some people, meaning the rest of us pay higher prices to
make up for it. So in those instances we are all paying for someone else's 20%
share.

I'm not against that because I believe that's what a civilized society is all
about - everyone who can paying a little extra either through taxes or higher
prices to help those who are less fortunate and can't help themselves. However
I think Sue's point was that it doesn't help when the rest of us are
struggling with the high costs of this disease to have someone who somehow is
benefitting even if they aren't aware of how, to constantlypoint it out ad
nauseum even when politely asked to refrain. Pam

>You dignified my comments by hitting respond.  However, your original
comment
is what I question and commented on.  As a conservative, it bothers me when
folks make pointed remarks like you directed at someone.>