From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of SomeoneSomewhere
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 21:10
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Medicare, pumps and costs

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I changed the title some. I hope
that is ok.

This may offend some. It is not my intention to do so. I just need to vent
and rant. Please do not take any of this personally. It is not aimed at any
single person that's part of why I changed the subject. But I wanted people
to know what made me think of this.. not that it just came out of thin air.

I was just telling my neighbor this this other day... you know it probably
costs them less than $50 to make insulin pumps in China. To minimize the
argument against how much it costs to make each unit, let's say it costs
them $500. How is it that they can mark them up to $5000 or
$10,000 and sell them? Sadly, they resell these things and make a profit
over again. Even Apple, probably the worst offender of consumer markups,
doesn't get that much! How is it that Medicare, or any insurance pays them?
Don't get me wrong, I am glad that insurance does pay for them, we need
them. It begs the question though, where are consumer groups, consumer
protection agencies or even the government saying this is price gouging and
you can not get away with it?

Just having a moment, ignore me if you need to. :)

Louree