Re: [IP] Medicare, pumps and costs

 True, pumps probably cost much less, like if they are made in China for
example. However there is a huge basic cost that must be rectified in order to
make pumps initially available. That cost is what it costs to design and
engineer them to meet acceptable standards. Every pump sold includes a
 Portion of the initial cost which is extra high because of the higher standards
that must be met for medical use.
Richard

On Dec 11, 2013, at 7:10 PM, SomeoneSomewhere <email @ redacted> wrote:

 > I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I changed the title some. I hope
that is ok.

 > This may offend some. It is not my intention to do so. I just need to vent
and rant. Please do not take any of this personally. It is not aimed at any
single person that's part of why I changed the subject. But I wanted people to
know what made me think of this.. not that it just came out of thin air.

 > I was just telling my neighbor this this other day... you know it probably
costs them less than $50 to make insulin pumps in China. To minimize the
argument against how much it costs to make each unit, let's say it costs them
$500. How is it that they can mark them up to $5000 or $10,000 and sell them?
Sadly, they resell these things and make a profit over again. Even Apple,
probably the worst offender of consumer markups, doesn't get that much! How is
it that Medicare, or any insurance pays them? Don't get me wrong, I am glad that
insurance does pay for them, we need them. It begs the question though, where
are consumer groups, consumer protection agencies or even the government saying
this is price gouging and you can not get away with it?