Re: [IP] Pumps?

I have been pumping since 11/1999 and have had a wide variety of them. I am
on a Tandem X2 right now and a Dexcom G5 CGM. Now I did try the omnipod and
in 3 days knocked off 3 times. Having tubing is NOT an issue for me. Now My
1st pump was a MiniMed 504 and they were bought out by Medtronics which was
a disaster (not the pump but Medtronics). On the 504 it was replaced to the
Medtronics version of the 504 and the case continually cracked. The next
pump I had was the Deltec  Cosmo which was great and intuitive to use. After
Deltec went under I went to the Animas Ping which was very good. We moved to
GA  and my new Endo would not prescribe anything other than a Medtronic pump
(he was getting kickbacks from Medtronics. Found new Endo liked patients to
do their own research on pumps and would support their decision.    The Omni
pod works great for some people, however I found it cumbersome. I liked the
Animas Ping the then the Vibe. No real issues with them. 3 years ago at Tour
de Cure ATL I saw the TANDEM pump. I was impressed with the metal case,
300ml capacity, and later when the ir next gen X2 arrived The upgradability
of the software  without having to get an entirely new pump was a no
brainer. My X2 when I got it was not intrgrated with the Dexcom G5. When the
software upgrade to allow it to act as a Dexcom G5 receiver. At that point I
got an Email with a code from Tandem, plugged the pump into my computer and
ran the necessary SW UPDATE so it would act as r G5 receiver as well as a
pump. Later this year Tandem will be upgrading the software working with
their PLGS Predictive Low Glucose Suspend that works with the Dex G% and
That will be downloaded.

Personally I despise Medtronics as a company for a number of reasons, 1.
Predatory sales tactics. Demanding Drs only prescribe their pumps. 2. price
gouging the end users I was part of a class action suit dealing with them
inflating the billing for supplies and failing to file insurance properly. 3
Bad service with the end users, when they bought out MiniMed their people
had no idea how to work with the end users, they were demanding our Doctors
offices only call them. I can not and will not recommend any Medtronic
product pump or otherwise.

I know you do not have  Dexcom CGM and your a1c is under 6.5. Have you ever
considered using a CGM? It is NOT just tor those with poor control. A CGM is
a great tool.  Now do you really know what your BGL is at any point without
a stick? Testing 6 to 8 times a day gives you only 6-8 points to work with.
A CGM is a tool that allows you to plot in real time what is happening to
your Glucose levels. I have found that it has allowed me to really fine tune
my basil rates, carb rates and correction factors. With the upcoming
integration of the pump to the Dexcom PLGS I will have a means to prevent
crashing. The CGM has also allowed me to set more effective basil rates for
sick days, cardio workouts and better non work days.  This is a personal
choice based on my experiences.