[IP] New Manner of Calculating A1c?

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about something that I "heard" recently, but I suspect
the person who said it is likely wrong.  Some months ago, I joined a
T2-exclusive group, because I wanted to learn more extensively how T2s
who are managing by diet and exercise, oral meds, et al. actually
manage/control their D on a daily basis (I am so grateful to be on
insulin).  The normal discussions occur -- low-or-very-modest carbing,
what to eat or not eat, my doctor told me I didn't need to test at
home/only test once a day, et al.  There are some insulin users on the
list, but no pumpers from what I can see.

Last week, a new member joined the group.  I believe she's in
Australia, but I KNOW she's not based in the US.  She reported that her
doctor diagnosed her with D because she was "just over the level" on an
A1c, but that her A1c was -- wait for it -- 46.  Several people
responded that she might have misunderstood him; seriously -- a 46.0
A1c is an average BG level of 70.8 mmol/L or 1274 mg/dl, and even a T2,
who might not be in DKA at diagnosis, is going to be EXTREMELY ill with
a BG that high, and would likely be hospitalized and at least
temporarily started on insulin.  She posted a response to the last
person who had commented about this to her yesterday (the person who
commented is also a T1, so I'm not the only T1 on the list), and again
said that she absolutely did not have the reading confused, that she
had copies of her blood work, but that she didn't feel "as sick as you
mention" or something similar.

Is there a new method of calculating/expressing the A1c level?  Because
of course I searched online last night, and found nothing.  She then
asked if the person who had asked her the questions and told her how
high she would have been might be calculating/expressing the A1c
differently, as she could NOT have confused the reading.

Is this possible, that in some places, the A1c is expressed THAT
differently?  Because if so, it's news to me.  At my dx 15 years ago,
my A1c was almost 17, and I had never been so sick in my life.  EVER.
I couldn't function at all.  I can't imagine someone walking 'round
with a BG equivalent to 1274 mg/dl or 70.8 mmol/L even being permitted
to leave the doctor's office.

Thanks,

Christine