[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V12 #79

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:39 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: insulin-pumpers-digest V12 #79

Please forgive if I haven't "snipped" correctly, I rarely post here. But I
have a question for Jan: You pay $24,000/year (over $2000.00 per month) for
your insurance (Medicare plus Medigap)??? Ouch, oh wow, I had no idea. I'm
10 years out from Medicare, but those are frightening costs! What do people
do? I will never be able to afford such care!
Barbara, T1 x 48 yrs

> Would the insulin for the pump be billed under durable since it's
> used with a pump?  So far I haven't been able to do so and have to
> pay the copay of 20% which is $90 for me with part B under Blue
> Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan.

The supplemental insurance for Medicare is called a Medigap policy. Without
one, you pay the 20% copay. Also, if Medicare does not pay, the Medigap
policy will not pay. IOW, a $30,000  hospital bill would be $6,000 out of
pocket without a medigap policy.

Target handles my insulin and strips under Medicare Part B and it
automatically goes to Anthem BC/BS for the remaining 20%. I pay nothing
other than $24,000.00+ a year for the premiums. :-(

Jan & Muskers- T-1  http://www.maxpages.com/bludasue  -
http://www.maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP  - http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics

(evolution of pumps)