  From: Mike Jensen
  To: email @ redacted ; email @ redacted
  Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 6:35 PM
  Subject: [IPu] Re: [IPz] For those interested in active sports

  Whitewater paddling, yeah!  The kayak's hung up in the garage but the
  memories are still fresh :)

  I would always go off the pump for kayaking, where there's a
  significant danger of going for a swim, getting into situations where
  you need your survival instincts to be REALLY focussed etc.  Just go
  onto your pre-pump intermediate insulin the night before you go out (
  you ought to know how to do this anyway).

  If you are really determined to stay on the pump while paddling, then
  make it safe for water.  Secure it on your body very very securely.

  In terms of carb burning during the paddle, I found that sitting in
  the kayak using mostly upper body muscles didn't burn glucose like
  using the big leg muscles in say walking or cycling.  I found I was
  having to take only slightly reduced insulin during the day when
  paddling whereas when walking or cycling would drop insulin doses
  dramatically.

  Mike