[IPu] Re: [IPz] For those interested in active sports

Whitewater paddling, yeah!  The kayak's hung up in the garage but the
memories are still fresh :)

I would always go off the pump for kayaking, where there's a
significant danger of going for a swim, getting into situations where
you need your survival instincts to be REALLY focussed etc.  Just go
onto your pre-pump intermediate insulin the night before you go out (
you ought to know how to do this anyway).

If you are really determined to stay on the pump while paddling, then
make it safe for water.  Secure it on your body very very securely.

In terms of carb burning during the paddle, I found that sitting in
the kayak using mostly upper body muscles didn't burn glucose like
using the big leg muscles in say walking or cycling.  I found I was
having to take only slightly reduced insulin during the day when
paddling whereas when walking or cycling would drop insulin doses