[IPu] Re: Atkins diet

I would be very wary of going on an Atkins-type diet *as a diabetic* for
two reasons.

The first, which is well known, is the high reliance on protein, which can
stress kidneys (and mine are already in bad enough shape thanks!).

The second, and probably more important one for diabetics, particularly
type 1s, is that glycogen stores are replenished by eating carbs. If you
eat few carbs and have a massive hypo, you're gonna be hard pressed to come
out of it, even with a glucagon injection.

I do, however, think that the Atkins diet, for short periods of time (say
2mths with a month off etc) is a good way for NON-diabetics to lose weight
quickly and effectively.

Just my 2c.