Re: [IPu] British Situation

Janette

I left the UK not quite 2 years ago, and I was given 2 Disetronic
H-Tronplus V100 pumps through my diabetic clinic at the Ipswich Hospital
in Suffolk.  There were 4 of us in the group, and in the previous group
there were 8 of them.  Our group, was given the pumps, plus we were
supplied with the infusions sets etc for a year.  Because I was
financially able to, I took over the supplying of my own infusions.  The
other 3 in the group were supported by the clinic.  I have since heard
that this clinic has almost run out of money, so I wonder who is
supplying what these days.

Since leaving the UK, all sorts of changes seem to have come about,
particularly with regard to the National Health System.  I just don't
know how long it can financially run.  Yes, the Dr's visits were free,
prescriptions were free etc, but because of their finances, you were
restricted to the type of medications you were given.  I was refused some
medication that the hospital had prescribed for me, because it was too
expensive for my GP to fit into his budget.  Therefore I had to have 2nd
best.

It seems the UK Govt. has just issued a N.I.C.E. report regarding the
pumps, and if Alan or some other clever person can find the web site, you
could have a read of it.  Whether each individual county or health group,
can financially cope with the suggestions, is yet to be seen.

Regards Heather

>From: "Janette Dunn" >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
>Subject: Re: [IPu] British Situation ? >Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:13:04
+1100 > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible
contributions. >Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per
month is >needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and
the rest >of the diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Hi Tori, > >So which
infusions are subsidised there ? Everything or similar to NDSS (no
>disconnecting) ? >Janette >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Tori"
>To: >Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 2:41 PM >Subject: Re: [IPu] British
Situation ? > > > > And I would just add that *all* supplies for people
with chronic >illnesses, > > including diabetes, are supplied free of
charge in the UK. > > > > Tori > > > > At 01:28 PM 25/03/2003, you wrote:
> > >The system in the UK is completely different to the NDSS one. To
obtain a > > >pump through their health scheme you apply through your GP
to your local > > >health board for approval. The information appears on
the UK web Site. >The > > >local health board then decides if they can
justify you getting a pump on >a > > >'cost saving' basis. > > >Alan Reed
friends, family and others > >