Re: [IPu] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #359 - hypo unawareness

Hi  Heather

There is very conflicting evidence that frequent hypos (rather than one
large one) can cause brain damage. There is also a recent study reporting
that extended high BGs can cause memory loss as well.
High BG and memory loss: http://www.healthandage.org/Home/101!gid1=3240
Hypo unawareness and autonomic malfunction:
Recurrent hypoglycemia doesn't cause brain damage:
and http://www.acponline.org/journals/annals/15feb96/diabetes.htm

I know there are reports out there that state that recurrent hypos DO cause
brain damage, but I can't locate any!

When I had very poorly (actually NON-)controlled diabetes, I lost all
awareness of both highs and lows (and subsequently ended up in hospital for
a month with DKA). Now I actually make an effort, although I can drop quite
low with no warning, I "tend" to feel a bit "off" at about 14 (although i
was at 21 last night for no apparent reason and felt OK). It all seems to
be very arbitrary, but again I think it may be linked to duration of
disease (and previous very bad control).

I've not had the thirst with lows, although many years ago I used to get
very thirsty at about 3pm and figuring it was an after-lunch high i would
automatically bolus - and then go hypo (of course i didn't bother
testing!). Turns out I just happen to get thirsty at about 3pm!

Anyway, hope that's useful ...