[IPu] RE: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #359 - hyypo unawareness

Can anyone shed any light on the "memory being destroyed with the number of
hypo's one has" that Heather's consultant referred to.  Is this for real?

-----Original Message-----
From: Heather Ayson [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: 19 March 2003 14:41
To: email @ redacted
Cc: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #359 - hyypo unawareness

I was encouraged after reading your email, because I never realised we all
have different symptons when having a hypo.  Over the years I have developed

different symptons, and the latest - tingling in my right hand has been pooh

hooed by my consultant.  But when I was seeing another Dr and I discovered
he was a Neurologist, I explained my symptons and he agreed that because of
the blood changing in acidity (I think) this would cause the tingling.

I have over the years become hypo unaware, and my consultant has encourgaged

me to increase my bg level.  Over the past 6 months, I am now becoming more
aware of them.  But what I found most interesting was I realised I had been
ignoring my symptons before hand.  I'd been just too busy to attend to
myself, or I'd just want to finish what was at hand etc.  I've begun to put
myself first in this situation and believe this has also helped.  However at

my last appointment he was very rude about the hypos I was still having and
said the next time I saw him he didn't want to see anything below 4.  He has

gone on and on about your memory being destroyed with the number of hypo's
one has (at least I remembered that) and how I'll end up in a nursing home
having to be fed!! (mentally I thought to myself - at least I won't know!).
They also did a brain scan - found I did have a brain!!! and was typical of
a 47 year old female.  The consultant is not very much in favour of pumps, I

don't believe he really knows about them either.  I've been going to him for

the last 18 months since arriving in Australia.  I actually travel to visit
another Dr that advises me on the pump - he doesn't seem to what to see me
regarding the diabetes.

If you don't have hypo awareness does this mean you aren't aware of high
bg's as well?  Because I don't have real symptons there either, and am
sometimes very surprised to realise I've reached 20.  Also I have discovered

that I frequently have got such a thirst but am actually having a hypo.
Does this happen to anyone else??

Regards Heather
IDDM 43 yrs, Disetronic pump 3 yrs

PLEASE READ: The information contained in this email is confidential
and intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not an intended
recipient of this email you must not copy, distribute or take any
further action in reliance on it and you should delete it and notify the
sender immediately. Email is not a secure method of communication and
Nomura International plc cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this
email for virus infection, for which Nomura International plc accepts
no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
Nomura International plc. This email is intended for informational
purposes only and is not a solicitation or offer to buy or sell
securities or related financial instruments. Nomura International plc is
regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is a member of the
London Stock Exchange.