Re: [IPu] Equity re Syringes ..... Survey ????

I'd be more than happy to fill out a survey like that Janette, although I
have my doubts as to how successful such a thing might be.

One thing that really irks me (and has for YEARS), is the fact that IV drug
users have been able to get free syringes and needles for well over a
decade, and yet we still cannot. On my ancient pump I used standard 2.5ml
syringes, so I actually went to the IV drug users support place and lied
through my teeth and got free syringes (there was no subsidisation of
*anything* pump-like then - 1990. Even the now subsidised Q-sets etc you
can get through DA now were paid out of my pocket back then).

Why is it that State Governments are willing to help drug users have
sterile supplies (and yes, I am glad they do that, I'm a socially conscious
person), and yet they will not supply the same to people who are not acting
illegally or injecting substances by choice (and i include all illnesses
that require frequent injections, not just us)?

The discrepancy really makes me angry, so if there is a way to force their
hand, I'm all for it. I do suspect however that this will be a State Health
Dept issue rather than a national issue, at least at this stage. Perhaps a
"blanket" lobbying letter that people can access and use to write to their
relevant health ministers as well as the Federal Minister might be worth
thinking about?

OK, rant over ... for the mo!

Tori :).