  From: Janette Dunn
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 9:18 PM
  Subject: [IPu] Equity re Syringes ..... Survey ????

  Hi Everyone,

  This term I need to complete some work on "Assessing Community Needs" which
  includes a Community Survey, for my Study Program.  Whilst I am aware of
  lobbying about Pump consumables, I am really interested in the inequity
  regarding Syringes.

  I find it extremely unfair (and discriminatory) that Diabetics who use
manual
  injections recieve subsidised (in NSW free) syringes; but Syringes for
Pumps
  are not.  Manually injecting I used 4 Syringes per day (or 32 every 8 days)
at
  NIL cost.  But as a Pump user I need to replace the 300u Syringe that fits
my
  pump every 8 days AND PAY FOR IT.

  There seems to be an assumption in some DA circles that although lobbying
is
  "progressing", I "choose" to use a pump.  I have responded that my "choice"
in
  October 2001 was either a Pancreas Transplant or to trial a Pump to attempt
  reregulate massive, debilitating BG swings.  (Luckily 3 minute Insulin
  delivery and 11 daily basal settings has given me BG control ... and my
life
  back )!!!!  So why am I being discriminated against in comparison to non
pump
  users ?

  So ... I have been thinking that I may survey Pump users about this
inequity
  and perhaps some other Pump issues.

  Would you complete a survey of this type ????

  Maybe a 100 or 200 Australian Pump User surveys sent to DA and the NDSS
scheme
  may "help" resolve this anomally.

  Thoughts and ideas .... gratefully received,

  Janette Dunn
  T1 34 Years
  gratefully returned to good health by:
  Assoc Professor Stephen Colagiuri
  Director
  Dept of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  Prince of Wales Hospital
  Randwick, NSW                 and an Animas Insulin Pump.