  From: tazzie
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 3:33 PM
  Subject: Re: [IPu] Continuous BG monitoring

  ----- Original Message
  Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 8:23 AM

  > Thanks Anne, that's very helpful, I'll try the same formula. (I think you
  mean
  > increasing by 0.1 of a unit, or 0.2, per hour.)

  Yes, sorry about that I have sent another message regardng this ..

  > I put on weight at first too, but in the last 12 months I have managed to
  lose
  > a little. I found the difference was, like you, cutting back on the
amount
  > ate. Also snacking less, cutting out some fat, and walking 4 times a week
  with
  > friends (I'm the only one with a young child but she usually sleeps in
the
  > stroller).

  It seems like we are using the same method here, I am glad  it is working
  for you also:-]

  > My insulin needs have come down too since being on the pump too, I was on
  70
  > units total /day, now its about 38 -42.
  > I found after losing about 2 kg I could reduce my basals, but before
that,
  > when eating less I gave myself less insulin for meal boluses.

  This is also the best method for me ..

  > Also any sort of increased activity like walking, gardening, vacuuming or
  > mopping would give me hypo's unless I put in a temporary basal rate of
  about
  > 1/4 of the usual hourly rate. (I prefer to reduce my insulin rather than
  add
  > more calories by eating extra carbo. to cover the exercise.)

  I agree, this is one more advantage of the pump, not having to eat before
  walking etc which always seemed to defeat the purpose.
  Before becoming diabetic I drank a lot of juice so now I occasionaly drink
  it before long periods of house work or exercise, as a treat, but yes I
also
  adjust basals.  Suspending the pump for walking works also as half an hour
  after I am home they have stayed the same as they were before I left.

  > Unfortunately I started blood pressure tablets this week, so now I'm also
  > trying to reduce salt and stress as well!
  > :)

  Sorry to hear this, will the tablets have any effect on you levels?

  No matter what we do there is always something else that effects our
levels,
  a never ending learning experience:)  At least with the pump problems can
be
  dealt with quickly and more efficiently!
  Anne
  Type 1, 11 years
  Pumper 10 Months