From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of mitchlerner
Sent: Friday, 20 June 2008 2:47 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [diabetescgms] Our first 48 hours on the Navigator (long)

We have now been Navigating for almost 48 hours. Julia, age 11, is wearing
hers on her
belt, with the site in her abdomen. Max (age 7) still has his in the box as
we want to be
sure we have a handle on the system before putting them on both kids. Some
thoughts
and then some questions:

This thing is amazing. Really, truly astounding. It is not just the ability
to look at Julia's
belt and see her number; there are other benefits that I had not fully
appreciated. I already
love it more than I love most members of my immediate family, but of course
that is not
saying much.

One great feature that I had not fully appreciated is the directional arrow,
which tells you,
based on the last 30 minutes of readings, if you are stable, rising fast or
slow, of falling
fast or slow. This feature is incredibly accurate, more so even than the BG
readings. So, for
example, 90 minutes ago, Julia was 92 with a bit of insulin on board. In our
house, that
would normally merit a few grams of carbs, but the arrow was pointing
directly sideways,
meaning her numbers were stable, so I did nothing. And right now, she is 91.
Sure, it is a
small thing, but every hour that I can keep her BS at 90 is a good hour.

The ability to see her blood sugar after she eats is also proving very
helpful to figuring out
her bolus. I am learning that we have been bolusing too much at many times
of the day.
So, for example, we had Chinese food last night. I thought Julia had 35g of
carbs, but I
didn't bolus her right away, as we usually do, since I wanted to see the
impact of the food
on her BS. So, ten minutes after she ate she was only 125, but was starting
to rise, so I
gave her only a 20g bolus since her number was still lower than I had
expected, and it
worked out to be the perfect amount.

Another great feature is the reports option. It will give a linear graph of
the last 2 hours, 4
hours, etc. It will also give a BG history of every test done in the past,
at 10 minute
intervals. So, we have always had a problem with Julia needing juice in the
overnight
period, and I am always tinkering with the settings on the pump to try to
fix it, but never
really solved it. Now I can see that at 2:40 AM the decline begins, and
lasts until about
4:50. I have already adjusted pump settings accordingly.

We have not had much experience with the alarm systems, since Julia's
numbers have
been amazingly good since we started. But we did have one experience with it
that was
positive. The Navigator was reading 160, but it sounded its low blood sugar
warning,
meaning that it was projecting she would be low in 30 minutes. Sure enough,
20 minutes
later she was 89 and we were able to treat it before it got too low. And in
case you worry
about the alert volumes not being loud enough, trust me, that will not be a
problem. In
fact, last night the alarm woke me up at 6:30 AM, even though I was down the
hall with a
fan running.

And of course, the continuous numbers are a godsend. Sent Julia off the
library yesterday
by herself, and for ice cream with her grandma without nearly the
trepidation we usually
have. At softball last night she did not wear the receiver, since she said
it restricted her,
but instead of her having to test in the dugout she just walked over to us
every few
innings and chatted for a moment, letting the receiver link up with the
sensor, and we
could get the info that way.

But, we have had a few problems, and I wonder if people who have been using
the system
for a while have any advice. The biggest one is that we seem to lose the
connection
between the transmitter and the receiver sporadically. It never happens when
Julia is
wearing it on her belt, but if I move the receiver 3 feet away we will get
the lightning bolt
symbol meaning we have lost the connection. It almost always links up again
on its own,
within a minute or two, but twice I have had to do it through the system
itself. In theory
the thing has a range of 10 feet, and most people say they can get 15 or
even 20. But ours
seems to be having communication problems. Thoughts?

And then the lag between the interstitial blood and the regular fluid is
throwing me a bit.
Julia's Navigator numbers are generally close to her finger test numbers,
but they can be
off by as much as 30 points. This seems to be a problem with the low BG
alarm; yesterday
she was 83 according to the Navigator and had been slowly declining from
about 110, but
she said she felt low, and a finger test put her at 58. So why didn't the
Navigator alarm to
tell me she was heading low?

And does it help to calibrate to do finger tests in the built-in test kit in
the Navigator?
People have said that the readings get better when the sensor is in longer,
but I don't
know if that requires extra tests to help calibrate. And, if you do extra
tests, do you
choose the "caiibrate" option in the meter to force it to ask for you to
test, or do you just
do the test.

Also swimming. The manual says not to wear the sensor for swimming in more
than 3 feet
of water. That is hard; my daughter is a fish in the summer. What are people
doing about
this? Can we put tape over the sensor and swim anyway? Is there a way to
remove and then
re-insert the sensor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

__._,_.___

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/message/9389;_ylc=X3oDMTM1aDlxZ3
I1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRtc2dJZAM5Mz
g5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIxMzg5NDAyNAR0cGNJZAM5Mzg5>  in this
topic (1)
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRtc2dJZAM5Mzg5BHNlYw
NmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTIxMzg5NDAyNA--?act=reply&messageNum=9389> Reply
(via web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcG8zbnRhBF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudH
BjBHN0aW1lAzEyMTM4OTQwMjQ->  a new topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOHBqb3YwBF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsaw
Ntc2dzBHN0aW1lAzEyMTM4OTQwMjM->  | Files
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnc2RzNzJxBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNma
WxlcwRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDIz>  | Photos
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJmc2RoNWlnBF9T
Azk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNw
aG90BHN0aW1lAzEyMTM4OTQwMjM->  | Links
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbm84MXQ2BF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNsa
W5rcwRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDIz>  | Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNGozZ2V0BF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsaw
NkYgRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDIz>  | Polls
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJnY21ycms4BF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwb
2xscwRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDIz>  | Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbjNqcjhrBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN
tYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMTM4OTQwMjM->  | Calendar
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOGdlZnM3BF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsaw
NjYWwEc3RpbWUDMTIxMzg5NDAyMw-->

MARKETPLACE

  _____

Attention,
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ufvd2io/M=624381.12730922.13032918.10835568/D
=grphealth/S=1705061662:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1213901224/L=/B=ErLTDELaX.M-/J=1213
894024858419/A=5396679/R=0/SIG=14efpdn06/*http:/media.adrevolver.com/adrevol
ver/href?banner=197790&place=26143&url_=http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbu
ster/display.com?cid=bbi00027%0d%0a>  Yahoo! Groups users! Sign up now for a
one-month free trial from Blockbuster. Limited
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ufvd2io/M=624381.12730922.13032918.10835568/D
=grphealth/S=1705061662:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1213901224/L=/B=ErLTDELaX.M-/J=1213
894024858419/A=5396679/R=1/SIG=14efpdn06/*http:/media.adrevolver.com/adrevol
ver/href?banner=197790&place=26143&url_=http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbu
ster/display.com?cid=bbi00027%0d%0a>  time offer.

zY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTIxMzg5NDAyN
A--> Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYnZvdHYyBF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzdG
5ncwRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDI0>  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:email @ redacted?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Dige
st>  delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:email @ redacted?subject=Change%20Delivery%2
0Format:%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamtoaWpvBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3R
pbWUDMTIxMzg5NDAyNA-->  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:email @ redacted?subject=>

Recent Activity

*                                  6

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnNmhuZjBhBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN
2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjEzODk0MDIz>  Members

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOGJ0c3ZzBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzY2NDE2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MTY2MgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN
0aW1lAzEyMTM4OTQwMjM->  Your Group

Yahoo! Health

Asthma
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13r9k4old/M=493064.12016303.12582636.9706571/D=
grphealth/S=1705061662:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1213901224/L=/B=E7LTDELaX.M-/J=1213894
024858419/A=5191949/R=0/SIG=12teb63n5/*http:/health.yahoo.com/asthma-overvie
w/identifying-asthma-triggers/healthwise--aa6768.html>  Triggers

How you can

identify them.

Meditation and

Lovingkindness
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13refjmf9/M=493064.12016231.12582634.9706571/D=
grphealth/S=1705061662:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1213901224/L=/B=FLLTDELaX.M-/J=1213894
024858419/A=5191951/R=0/SIG=11iiaadso/*http:/new.groups.yahoo.com/giftoflovi
ngkindness>

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Food Lovers

Real
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13r8m6gku/M=493064.12016243.13036160.8674578/D=
grphealth/S=1705061662:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1213901224/L=/B=FbLTDELaX.M-/J=1213894
024858419/A=5379225/R=0/SIG=11gatb1qb/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/he
llmanns/>  Food Group

on Yahoo! Groups

find out more.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=18766416/grpspId=1705061662/msgI
d=9389/stime=1213894024/nc1=5191949/nc2=5191951/nc3=5379225>