[IPu] Fw: [IP] Morning Lows!

From: "Laura Quinlivan" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Morning Lows!

 Hi Dustin,

 I'm coming into this conversation a little late, but I wanted to backup
Eric
on his statements.

 When I was on Lantus (for over two years, before I started pumping about
7-8
 weeks ago), I had to take my Lantus in the morning. I require much less
 basal at night. I actually don't have a dawn phenomenon, so when my Lantus
 would peak, (approx 5-6 hours after injecting) I would start going down and
 just continue going down, until I would (thankfully) wake up with really
low
 lows (usually in the 30s and 40s). Even after we switched to taking my full
 dose with breakfast I would have those lows at about 10AM (bkft was at
6AM),
 right in the middle of my very busy mornings at work. I found myself
feeding
 the insulin, just to keep things at a good level the rest of the day.

 Since I have been on the pump, I have had very few lows. Usually they can
be
 easily traced to misjudging how busy my schedule was going to be on that
 particular day. Easily caught and corrected, since my pump reminds me to
 check my BG 2 hours after every bolus. And I have three different basals;
 one for workdays, one for non-workdays and a temporary basal for very busy
 workdays. Something I could not do when taking Lantus. Instead of feeding
 the insulin, I have basals that work for me. Now that I'm on a pump, my
 basals on any given workday go from .9 units per hour during the night, to
 .85 in the morning hours, to 1.1 during mid-afternoon to early evening. My
 insulin works for me, rather than the other way around.

 Everyone is different, so why would anyone think that having one, and only
 one, recipe for treatment would work for all? I used to hate it when my doc
 would try to make my body work for the insulin, why wouldn't I do whatever
 can to make the insulin work for me?

 Laura & Lil Bit