[IPu] Fw: [IP] endocrinologists

From: "Antonio" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] endocrinologists

 You have the best of both worlds -- self management, and care from an
 Endo in partnership.  I think that is what would work for me, so I will
 use your post as a guide in my search for a new DDoc.   Thanks for the
 input and motivation.

 Antonio in LA,Age 40, Type 1 since 1993

 Betsy wrote:
We are a military family and use the military health network for all of our
needs.  In our area the diabetics on pumps are all seen in one hospital by
the endocrine clinic.    I see a doctor in the clinic every 3-4 months (they
have to follow Medicare rules for pump users) and call with questions or
concerns.  I really respect this doctor (an endocrinologist) because she
respects me.

 During the appointments, she reviews my records and asks my opinions about
what needs adjusting or if there are any reasons for the fluctuations that I
cannot find a way to control.  The feeling in my feet are checked, as are
eyes, etc.

 She commented the first day I met her that, with 49 years of being a
diabetic I had more experience with D than she did.  She said she would
offer treatment suggestions based on current medical knowledge on which she
might be better updated than I was, but I was the primary person responsible
for my control.  I consider my treatment to be a partnership.

Guess I am blessed in many ways.

Betsy Krussel, VA
dx 1957, pump 2000