[IPu] Toes and woes/ discussion

From: "Janette Dunn" <email @ redacted>
To: "Todd & Nicki Boyd" <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IPu] Fw: [IPp] Toes and woes.

 Hi Nic and all,
I think this is an important issue .. not discussed enough.

There is just so much you can do ... as a parent of a type 1
or as a Type 1.  Yes, the stats from the DCCT study showed
that "good control" had a significant impact on the rate of Diabetic
complications, BUT IT DID NOT CEASE ALL complications.

You can only "do your best at the time".  Some people despite the
best efforts (and the best medical advice at the time), still get
complications.  As the mother in the 2nd email so admirably relates ...

I remember one of my previous Endos saying that a % of T1's
within 10 years had developed quite severe complications despite
doing everything possible to obtain good control.

 Those of us on Pumps are the lucky ones, we can attempt to mimic
the functioning a real pancreas  ... but we still do the extra
thinking / planning  .... and in recent years we are finding that other
hormones (besides insulin) are also involved in BG responses.
Pumps are the best we have so far ....

 But "luck" and genetics are also "in the mix".  You may not be able
to control all of life's stresses; other illnesses etc that befall us at
 times  ....
Diabetes can often be more "art" than "science" some days ...

 What is important is to do the best you can today ...
then get up tomorrow and you do the best you can that day ..
sometimes resilience; and good support are the most important things.

 Warm Regards,
Janette