[IPu] Fw: [IP] new to pumping....questions

From: "May Dara" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:51 AM
Subject: [IP] new to pumping....questions

I  am new to pumping, and am on the Omnipod. I have a few questions:

 I seem to need a LOT of basal insulin. I am currently taking between .9 and
1
 unit per hour. So I am taking almost 24 units of basal everyday. When I was
on
Lantus I took 16 - 18 units per day.

 Why do I need so much more basal now? And doesn't that seem like a lot per
hour? I'm a type one, 5'6" and weigh somewhere around 150 (give or take 5
lbs.)

 I am not eating more than I was before. I am worried that I will gain
weight,
need more basal, gain weight etc. You know the loop I am talking about. Is
it
odd to need so much?

 I have also noticed that on a day-to-day basis my insulin needs change
dramatically. For example, on 6/3 I took a total of 31.5 units (71% basal!),
and
on 6/2 I took 42.4 units (53% basal). 6/1 it was a total of 29.2 (77%
basal!)
and 5/31 I used a total of 45.8 (49% basal).

 Now that I have bored you with my insulin intake for the past week, I'll
get
to my question:

 Is it normal to have such dramatic fluctuations in the amt of insulin used?

 Thanks,
Dara