[IPu] Fw: [IP] 508 meltdown

From: "Peg Oberg" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:37 AM
Subject: [IP] 508 meltdown

 RoseLea wrote: However, there are other reasons to upgrade than because the
pump "dies 4 years and 2 months after purchase". Pumps are being upgraded
all the time. I replaced my H-Tron+ after using it for nearly 4 years, not
because it died, in fact it still works just fine. The reason I replaced it
was to get better bolusing options. If your pump works fine after 4 years,
then by all means, keep using it. My sister is on year #6 with her Animas
IR1000. It still works and so she's still using it. She's currently in an
insurance crisis and may have difficulty getting a new pump paid for (she
lost her own insurance when she was downsized out of her job and I'm not
sure what kind of coverage her husband has, but I think it's fairly
limited.) Many pumps last for much longer than the 4-year warranty period.
So, if you're happy with it, then keep using it. Just remember that when the
warranty runs out, and it stops working, you may have to replace it then.
Talking about warranties. I paid over $2,000 for a new washer and dryer
(high efficiency front loader) and they only had a one-year warranty on
them. Cars that you pay as much as, or more than, $20,000 for may only have
a 4 or 5 year warranty. Why does anyone think a pump warranty should be
longer?

 Dear RoseLea,
As stated in posts a few days ago, my 508 did stop working right after
the warrenty ran out. I don't necessarily beleive the warrenty should last
longer than 4 years. I do think I should have the option to have it repaired
at a reasonable cost. Or at the very least a diagnosis be made to say how
far gone it actually is. Could be just "a screw loose"...who knows.

As far as an upgrade goes...I didn't take full advantage of all the options
on the 508. I keep my care as simple as possible. My A1c has been right
around 6.0 for several years now with very limited lows. So for me, I am
satifited without all the bells and whistles.

Anyhow, the reason for bringing this whole thing up in the first place is to
see if anyone has any clues on how to get the 508 checked out...? Anyone?