From: "Sue Ann Bowling" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Type 1.5 or LADA

 >How old were you when you were diagnosed type 1?

28.  That was 37 years ago, when what is now called types 1 and 2
were thought to be strictly age-related, and they said I fell in the
crack.  I was stabilized on insulin, and when they tried the pills
later they didn't work.  Now I'm pretty sure it was LADA.  Diagnosis
was via glucose tolerance test--they said I came in (fasting) at
200, jumped to 400 on the challenge and then just sat there.

>Did you have a "Honeymoon phase" and how long did it last?

Probably--at least I didn't need much insulin to start with, and
survived a month on the pills  That was before clucometers, and the
determination that the pills didn't work was made via lab tests of
blood sugar.

Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, AK
Dx 1969 at age 28, insulin from start, C-peptide undetectable (Probably type
1)
Blue MM 512 to 515, "Symbi," since Jan 2004