[IPu] Fw: [IP] Hearta Surgery and the pump

From: "Royce Ballew" <email @ redacted>
To: "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>;
<email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 12:52 PM
Subject: [IP] Hearta Surgery and the pump

I celebrated my 70th birthday in 2005 having quadruple by-pass surgery.

 I went to my endo thinking I had another problem--no chest pains.  Learned
that neuropathy can hide heart pains.

At the time I had been on a MM712 for about a year.  They took me off it
just
before surgery and put me on insulin drip.   My BG went wild and I fussed
about their treatment and called for my pump.  After much opposition from
the
cardiac care unit, I got my pump and meter back.

Had a bit of trouble getting carb info from the dieticians--they thought
calories was all I needed.  Finally got my BG under control and was sent
home.
(After 3 weeks in the hospital total.)

 The first words my endo said to me: "I hear you're going to teach the
cardiac
unit about pumps."  "Someone needs to," I replied.  "They are," he said.