[IPu] Fw: [IP] Heart surgery

Hi All,
Start at the bottom !
Janette
From: "Shirley Beggs" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:19 PM
Subject: RE: [IP] Heart surgery

 Lynda - it does seem odd that no one has had heart surgery while on the
pump.  There have been posts about having surgical procedures done so even
though it wasn't specific the info would apply.  I have had 3 heart attacks,
about 12 angiograms/angioplasties, 5 bypass open heart, 2 stents - however
all this was done before I had the pump so I can't offer anything to help
you.   During some of the pre-pump surgeries I had they used an insulin IV
drip and just monitored my BG levels and acted accordingly.

 Have you talked to your surgeon or endo about it?   From what I've read
here
on IP, the consensus is that the pump stays on, sometimes just at a reduced
basal rate.  The anesthesiologist may also have an opinion since this may be
a long surgery.   My thoughts are certainly with you.

 Shirley, dx 1954 age 5, Animas pump 10/2005