[IPu] Fw: [IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

Hi All,
You may be interested in these stats.
Janette

From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 3:42 AM
Subject: [IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

 Hello,
I am sure this has been asked before but I will ask again.
I have been Type 1 since I was 5 years old. I am now 26 and thinking of
having
children. Has there been a study on how many children have gotten type 1 if
one
of there parents have it?

 Sarah Roscoe
Sarah,

 In answer to your question about a child of a type I diabetic getting
 diabetes, below is an excerpt from the ADA web site at
 http://www.diabetes.org/genetics.jsp.  Hope this helps.

 Rebecca
Type 1 since 4/84
Animas 1200 pumper since 11/04

 In general, if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your
 child getting diabetes are 1 in 17.  If you are a woman with type 1
 diabetes and your child was born before you were 25, your child's risk
 is 1 in 25; if your child was born after you turned 25, your child's
 risk is 1 in 100.

 Your child's risk is doubled if you developed diabetes before age 11.
 If both you and your partner have type 1 diabetes, the risk is between 1
 in 10 and 1 in 4.

 There is an exception to these numbers.  About 1 in every 7 people with
 type 1 diabetes has a condition called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune
 syndrome.

 In addition to having diabetes, these people also have thyroid disease
 and a poorly working adrenal gland.  Some also have other immune system
 disorders. If you have this syndrome, your child's risk of getting the
 syndrome including type 1 diabetes is 1 in 2.