From: "lauriejnd" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 5:38 PM
Subject: [IP] Re: Kidney Again

 "My dad just found out for sure he has diabetic kidney damage.  Any words
of
 wisdom?"
 My only suggestion is to avoid traditional NSAID's such as ibuprophen,
 aspirin, naprosyn.  My 24 hour urine test went from 53 mg to 2200 mg in one
 year.  I did some research and I had been taking naprosyn for a year.  I
 suggested to my dr. that maybe I should stop it and he agreed (and later
 wrote it in my chart like it was his suggestion!).  He started me on an ACE
 even though my BP was OK at the time and we tried for tighter control that
 eventually led me to a pump.  One year later there was no detectible amount
 of protein in my urine!  Obviously this is not true for everyone with
 diabetes.  My current endo thinks that I had an acute response to the NSAID
 and that I should not take them at all.  I agree with this.  There have
also
 been some studies to show that NSAID cause intestine damage in some people.
 Of course I don't want that either as my intestine was very damaged from
 years of undiagnosed celiac disease.  Hopefully after a year of a gluten
 free diet, it is healing.

 "Told my dad is 7.5 A1Cs were fine".
I have had A1C's ranging from 5.7 to 13.9 and my kidneys are fine now.
There is some luck involved in this.

 Laurie
Type 1 for 31 years - pumping for 5+