Re: [IPu] help needed - insulin not working?

Hi Vanessa,
I think you have two different problems.
The first is your Pump.  If it's saying "no delivery" yet you can see
Insulin being delivered when you disconnect; it sounds like you have a Pump
intermitently providing Insulin or it's pumping less insulin than it's
programmed to do.  Clearly if the Pump is saying "no delivery" you have a
Pump problem requiring repair.  Contact Medtronic and have a replacement
Pump provided whilst they repair / service yours.

The second looks like an Insulin problem.  First try a new bottle of
Insulin, just to rule out it having lost it's potency or having become
contaminated in some way.  If a new bottle of Insulin sees no change to
infusion sites ( lasting 24 hours and / or having a hard ridge) then I'd
suggest you have developed an Insulin allergy / sensitivity).  Yes it is
possible to develop an allergy to infused Insulin.  According to IP figures
around 5%  (1 in 20) Pumpers have a problem with either infused Humalog or
NovoRapid.  My record for site failure on Humalog was 1/2 a day.  I would
end up with a red rash where the insulin infused, then a lump which was
itchy.  But I have read quite a number of reports of lumps at the site  with
site failure.  From my research and discussion with Novo, it is the
additives in the Insulin that cause the reaction.  When I became allergic to
Humalog, I rang Novo Nordisk  because I was worried the same thing would
happen, they were able to tell me the concentration / differences in
additives.

I found it took a week before my old infusion sites cleared up, but using
NovoRapid immediately fixed the site failure problem.  Prior to Novo being
approved in the States, US Pumpers would mix small amounts of Regular
Insulin with their Humalog to decrease their allergy / sensitivity problems.
If you want to try internet searches, try "insulin sensitivity" not insulin
allergy.

Warm Regards,
Janette