Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:57:35 -0500
From: Shaun Oakey <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Advice sought from those who count protein

A couple of months ago I started experimenting with including a portion of
protein in my carbo count, and giving an ordinary pre-meal bolus. My blood
sugars immediately improved dramatically -- not that they were awful before,
but many more of my numbers are now in my target range.

My problem is, I now often go low after meals where I've counted the
protein. I started out calculating that 60% of protein eventually converts
to carbohydrate/glucose, but then, with the lows, reduced that to 50%. I
also toyed around with square waves of various lengths (2, 2 1/2, and 3
hours), and I go low less often but, if I do go low, it's later. The
insulin-to-carb ratio works for no-protein or low-protein meals, so it's not
like I'm just giving myself too much insulin in general. I'm not sure what
to do next and wonder if anyone with more experience can point the way.

Is there a common cut-off point below which you don't bother counting the
protein? I don't currently count, say, 1 egg (equivalent to 4 g CHO) or 1
ounce of cheese, since the effect on blood sugar is going to be delayed and
minimal, but I'd figure it in if I was having 3 or more eggs, or, like last
night, lots of chicken wings (8 baked wings at an average weight of 36 g and
at 9 g protein per wing means 72 g protein total, and 50% of that is 36 g
included in the carbo count).

Do you have separate insulin-to-carb ratios for meals with protein and meals
without protein?

Should I extend the square wave beyond 3 hours?

Should I further reduce the amount of protein I'm counting, to 40%, and if
I'm still going low, to 30%, etc.? (This seems to me the least logical

Thanks for any advice,